Feb 22, 2011

Sugarland arrives in Chicago!

Hellloooo there, I'm Sugarland! My new foster family calls me Sugar...maybe because I'm just as sweet as the real thing. ;)

I'm a Lemon and White English Pointer. In the fall my owner called IBR because she was too ill to keep me. I stayed there in KY with a very nice lady who keeps a kennel for a lot of other dogs like me - dogs waiting for a spot in a rescue. When a foster family in IL became available I rode up with another volunteer who was headed home from vacation and on Feb 20 I arrived here in Chicago! I have a great big furry foster brother and two human foster siblings (my foster mom tells me they are "moody pre-teens" but that must mean "extra loveable" because that's what they seem like to me)!

I am about two and a half years old and I have a few special needs...I do not hear or see well. I can hear some things, like the dog next door barking, but I don't really hear my name being called or know when you walk in the room if I don't see you. I definitely recognize shapes like other dogs, people, stairs, and doorways, but sometimes its hard for people to tell if I'm looking at them or not. There is nothing wrong with my sniffer though - I can certainly locate food and treats (which may be why I'm working on losing 10 or 15 pounds). My foster mom hopes that some of these issues are related to a tick born illness like Lyme Disease and might get a little better with antibiotic treatment. If not, it doesn't stop me from living so I'm OK staying this way!

Here I am in the car right after being picked up by my foster family...this is my "how does that camera taste?" look.